Friday, March 18, 2011

Drum roll, please

My friend Bird remarked the other day that my 2011 blog archives and the film The Highlander shared the same tagline - 'there can be only one'. Point taken, and thanks for a much needed giggle.

Yesterday morning I had what can only be described as a complete meltdown over something so trivial it makes me cringe. I've been feeling lacklustre of late, detached and disengaged from the people I love, and finding it hard to see the lighter side of anything. So I scuttled off to my GP, expecting a prescription for a magic multivitamin and a dose of pull-yourself-together-ness. I left with a diagnosis of clinical depression and six month's supply of happy pills. Phwoar.

I don't like to admit that things are not okay. I don't like to be sick. But more than that, I don't like to be trudging through life searching for a catalyst to make me happy again. So I'm going to take those pills and I'm going to give myself a break. At the beginning of this year a friend asked if I had made any resolutions, and I replied that my only plan for this year was to be kinder to myself. Less angry at the things I don't necessarily enjoy about who I am. I'm hoping that this is the start of that.

You're going to be seeing a bit of retrospective blogging going on here for the next couple of weeks while I clear out my drafts folder of all the little thoughts I wanted to share but didn't. Maybe you'll see the pattern that got me to where I am now - apparently I missed it. A hundred brownie points to the person who can pinpoint the start of my downhill slide. Prizes cannot be exchanged for cash.

1 comment:

  1. Depression isn't a sign of weakness, It's a sign you've been strong for too long.

    I have been wanting to comment here for a while but was not sure what to write, I found this the other day and thought it would work.

    Love you and hope you know that I am here for anything, anytime :D

    ReplyDelete